A sweep is as lucky as lucky can be….. okay so enough Mary Poppins (although I do really love that movie). Last night Casey and I were sitting in the living room when we hear *chirp*chirp*chirpchirp*chirp*chip*chip*chirpchirpchirp* and it is coming from right next to us! It didn’t take us long to follow the VERY upset puppy to the fireplace and realize we have a whole nest living in our flue!
We did what any responsible homeowner in crisis would do – and googled it. It isn’t often that google fails me. Here are googles suggestions for removing a bird from the chimney
1) Reach up with a gloved hand and grab it (And who is supposed to do that?)
2) Wait and hope it decides to leave on its own
3) Smoke it out (This is the most widely mentioned solution, it is also the one that has led to peoples homes burning down because nest materials are highly flammable)
4) Catch it in a pillowcase (Seriously? How?)
5) Hire a chimney sweep! ----- Once you’ve seen that as option who in their right mind would pick anything else? I didn’t even know chimney sweeps existed other than in Mary Poppins! We can’t call one until after the rain ends (hopefully the end of the week) but I promise to let you all know if our chimney sweep sings and hops from roof to roof while he works!